February 21, 2021
Pastor Craig Ledbetter
Bible Baptist Church, Ballincollig, Cork, Ireland
I. Introduction (Isaiah 55:10,11)
Isa 55:10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
Isa 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
A. The Bible will accomplish what nothing else ever could!
B. Because it is God’s words, not man’s!
C. And it has a power that works in anyone who will read it, and believe it and do it!
D. Last week I showed you Three of the Six things you need to do with your Bible
1. READ it (so many have never read any of it)
a. I showed you the Power that is found “AS” you READ the Bible…
b. Four supernatural things – go back and watch last week’s message
2. STUDY the Bible…
a. I showed you the Power that is found “AS” you STUDY the Bible…
3. Then we just began to look at the Power you will experience “AS” you BELIEVE the Bible
E. I want to show you the Last Three:
1. OBEY the Bible…
2. USE the Bible
3. WAIT While It Works…
F. Because… as you do each thing you will discover something new that this Book can DO FOR YOU and IN you after each one!
1. Each one goes a little deeper than the previous, and takes more commitment
2. But experiences the greater power that is IN every word of God, on each page of the Book you hold in your hand!
G. A word of warning
1. If you do NOT get this truth, the devil will convince you to believe in scientists, evolutionists, magicians, priests, youtube liars, mainstream media, tel-evangelists, and snake-oil salesmen!
2. The greatest event is happening right now right here, where a man is standing up here telling you THE ONLY WAY to NOT be deceived, and to know the truth and be made free by TRUTH!
II. Message - What Does The Bible Do? What CAN it Do?
A. As I BELIEVE the Bible… (Continued)
1. The power REALLY starts here! I cannot let this slip by
2. I showed you that THIS BOOK Converts a soul
a. You can believe whatever and whomever you want... but only ONE BELIEF actually does ANY good at all.
1) John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
2) John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
3) John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
4) John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
b. Believing this Bible does NOT make people RELIGIOUS…
c. This Book makes sinful people BRAND NEW!
1) 1Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
2) 2Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
d. How? By actually giving us faith!
1) Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
2) No one gets saving faith unless they read and believe the Bible as written!
e. At some point, you have got to decide if the words in this Book are worth believing!!! (Acts 8:35-38)
1) Acts 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
2) Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
3) Acts 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
4) Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
3. Do you not know that THIS BOOK Confirms Salvation (1John 5:11-13)
a. You do NOT need a priest, or a bishop, or a pastor to tell you you are saved! THIS BOOK confirms it!
b. 1John 5:11 And this [BOOK] is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
c. NO ONE WOULD KNOW THEY WERE SAVED WITHOUT THE BIBLE TELLING THEM IT IS TRUE!
d. 1John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
e. 1John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
4. It’s Words Compels Me – Empowers Me - Emboldens Me
a. Admonishes, pushes me
b. Isaiah 8:11 For the LORD spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying…
c. Mark 9:23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
1) Not believing whatever you can imagine
2) But believing whatever God said in this Book!!!
d. These words drive men forward, into the unknown, to do the impossible for God
1) To become fanatical Christians
2) To live like Jesus did, not like we feel like
3) It propels men to go to far away places and give their lives and die trying to win lost people who do not know God
4) It keeps marriages together when the world and the flesh and the devil are powerfully trying to tear them apart
e. THIS Book does that!
f. If young men are NOT fanatical about Jesus Christ, it is only because they do not read and study and believe this Book!
5. This Book Calls Me
a. Hearing the voice of God in every word will have a great effect on you
b. God through the careful obedience to the words of Scripture will show you why he made you and saved you
c. No wonder so few MEN are hearing God’s call to preach!!!
d. It is because they are NOT actually READING and BELIEVING the Bible!
e. And that is why the world is going to hell faster than ever!
6. It Quickens me – Revives Me when I am defeated
a. As we learned on Wednesday evening, Psalm 119:107 I am afflicted very much: quicken me, O LORD, according unto thy word.
b. It revives, excites, and breathes life back into my dead, cold heart!!!
c. It only happens when people are saturated in the word
d. THAT is when the Holy Spirit lights a fire in you that keeps pulling you always forward, never quitting!
7. It Calms, Comforts, Quiets Me, Encourages (1Thessalonians 4:18)
a. 1Thessalonians 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
b. Not every page is comforting, but if you need encouragement, read this Book
c. How? By God opening your eyes to the bigger picture of what is going on, and what He has planned
d. There is no fear for the bible believer! We KNOW what is ahead
e. And with this Book in our hearts, we are ready!
8. ALL, IF I WOULD JUST BELIEVE IT!
B. As I OBEY the Bible… (Deuteronomy 30:11-14)
1. Deuteronomy 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
2. Deuteronomy 30:12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
3. Deuteronomy 30:13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
4. Deuteronomy 30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest DO it.
5. The Bible was written to be lived by – obeyed, and enjoyed
a. Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
b. Luke 6:47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
c. Luke 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
d. Luke 6:49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.
6. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I START DOING WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS DO?
7. It Changes Me - Transforms
a. THAT’S when it Changes your life! Makes a thorough change
1) It is like a hammer and chisel
2) Sandpaper, starting rough, and working down to a very fine grind
3) Psalm 138:8 The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.
4) HOW DOES GOD CHANGE YOU AND ME???
5) Psalm 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed [OBEYING] thereto according to thy word.
b. If you read and believe this Book enough to start doing what it says do, then your life WILL change for the better! Guaranteed!
c. But if you don’t, it will remain “just an old book” with religious words in it!
d. The very fact that most “Christians” live the same as the world around them, proves that they neither know the Scriptures, and do not believe them enough to obey them!
8. Guides Me (Psalm 73:24)
a. Psalm 73:24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
b. Like a personal trainer, coach
c. The kind of influence that the very wealthy PAY good money for… YOU AND I HAVE IN OUR HANDS!
d. Constraining me – keeps me from sinning, and from reaping for sin
9. Prospers Me (Joshua 1:8)
a. Benefits me, blesses me
b. Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
c. Deuteronomy 29:9 Keep therefore the words of this covenant, and do them, that ye may prosper in all that ye do.
10. Who wouldn’t want a Book like that???
C. As I Use the Bible (James 1:22-25)
1. Use it? Yes!
a. Why have a hammer and not use it?
b. Why own a car, and not drive it to work?
c. Why have a dishwasher and not use it?
d. The Bible was designed to be USED, for a purpose!
2. How does anyone USE the Bible?
a. Some people use it like a boring textbook
b. Others as a religious icon, or something to talk about, but never believe
c. Some if not most people use it to bully people, and to badger them, or spiritually nag them, or Bible bash, and intimidate them
3. How about start USING IT instead of using your own ways of thinking, and your normal ways of reacting, and relying on the words of men (science falsely so called, and philosophy)
4. Use your Bible
a. As a mirror – to show you YOURSELF
1) James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
2) James 1:23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
3) James 1:24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
4) James 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
b. As nourishment for my soul – it is called MILK and MEAT
c. As a weapon
1) It has the power to defeat Satan’s and stop his attacks!
2) It pierces the darkness of this world with such power – the power of truth, and of the Holy Spirit of God!
3) EXAMPLE: when people used to believe that at a solar eclipse, a great monster was eating the sun, and then came the point where someone showed people what was REALLY happening with the Moon in its orbit came between us and the light of the sun! The TRUST takes away fear and lies!
d. As a perfect pattern for life, and all that it throws at you
e. As encouragement, of yourself, and of others
f. The list is almost endless!
D. As I WAIT for It to Work… (Ecclesiastes 3:11)
1. Just a brief thought – I will explore this with you later in the year
2. The word of God is NOT like an earthquake, or a tornado, or a bomb
4. The Bible is compared to a seed, a tiny, quiet voice, a trickle of water
5. It is designed to work carefully, over time like planting a seed – not instantly
6. So, give God time (Ecclesiastes 3:11) He hath made every thing beautiful in his time
7. Wait – not half-heartedly or, impatiently – but Expectantly. God is NOT on your schedule!
a. Psalm 130:5 I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.
b. Hebrews 10:36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
8. It is actually always working
a. Like a seed – even though nothing seems to be happening
b. Just be patient
c. Let it work as you just keep living by its words
9. Do you need God to change your husband, or your wife, or your teenager, or your Boss, or your parents, or your Taoiseach? Live the word of God before them! It changes the people who see it lived in front of them!
III. Next Week
A. Why isn’t the Bible Working?
B. I will show you where the problem is
A. Six things you need to do with your Bible:
1. READ it
2. STUDY the Bible…
3. BELIEVE the Bible…
4. OBEY the Bible…
5. USE the Bible
6. WAIT While It Works…
B. Because… as you do each thing you will discover something new that this Book can DO FOR YOU and IN you after each one! Supernatural things
1. Like Convert your soul
2. And then this Book Confirms Salvation (1John 5:11-13)
3. It’s Words Compels Me – Empowers Me - Emboldens Me
4. This Book Calls Me
5. It Quickens me – Revives Me when I am defeated
6. It Quiets Me, Calms, Comforts, Encourages (1Thessalonians 4:18)
7. ALL, IF I WOULD JUST BELIEVE IT!
C. As I OBEY the Bible…
1. It Changes Me - Transforms (2Corinthians 3:18)
2. Guides Me
3. Prospers Me
D. As I Use the Bible
1. As a mirror – to show you YOURSELF
2. As nourishment for your SOUL
3. As a weapon
4. As a perfect pattern for life, and all that it throws at you
5. As encouragement, of yourself, and of others
E. As I Patiently WAIT for It to Complete its Work…
F. But it can do nothing for you until YOU start reading it for yourself!!!
G. Until you believe it as best as you can!
1. You can believe whatever and whomever you want... but only ONE BELIEF actually does ANY good at all.
2. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
3. John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
4. John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.