What is So Important About Believer’s Baptism?
Romans 6; Colossians 3
August 30, 2020 AM
Pastor Craig Ledbetter
Bible Baptist Church, Ballincollig, Cork, Ireland
I. Introduction (Matthew 28:18-20)
A. 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
B. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
C. 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
D. There are some things about baptism that many Christians need to know
1. Too many Christians believe Baptism is either just a ritual, or is actually part of their salvation. Both beliefs are wrong.
2. For those who believe baptism is a necessary effort on our part to become a Christian, you forget about the work of Jesus Christ, that was perfect and complete, and that if you try and do anything to help Jesus out, you cancel everything He did for you and it is then all on you
3. And for those that think it is something that can be ignored, or just something to get over with… you forget all the times in Scripture that it is emphasized and preached, and called for
4. So much confusion
E. So, what is baptism, and what is its core purpose in the life of the born again child of God?
A. What is Baptism?
1. There are several kinds of baptisms in the Scripture
a. The entire nation of Israel was baptized when they came out of Egypt and went through the Red Sea
1) 1Corinthians 10:1,2 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea
b. John the Baptist called for the entire nation of Israel to repent and be baptized in water before Jesus came
1) Matthew 3:4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.
2) Matthew 3:5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
3) Matthew 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
4) BUT THAT NEVER SAVED ANYBODY!
5) Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
6) ONLY Jesus SAVES!
c. So it is easy be confused about baptism
1) Look carefully at every time it is written
2) Somethings it is describing being baptized into Christ
3) Sometimes baptism into WATER
4) They are NOT the same!
2. Meaning of Baptism
a. Putting someone completely into something else
b. Immersion, not dribbling, sprinkling, pouring, dipping in water
c. People call POURING a baptism, but that is NOT what the word means
d. People call SPRINKLING a baptism, but that is NOT what the word means
e. The word Baptism means taking something and immersing it completely in something else
f. EXAMPLE: Like when dunking a biscuit in your tea and it slipping out of your hand into the cup!!! It is now BAPTIZED!
g. EXAMPLE: Placing a ball into a bucket of water, submerging it under the water
h. That’s what baptism means
B. What Water Baptism CANNOT do
1. It cannot wash away any sin
2. It cannot cleanse your guilt and conscience
3. It does not atone/pay for sin. Only the blood of Christ when he died cleanses us from sin
a. Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
b. 1John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
c. Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, [MISSING IN THE NEW BIBLES] according to the riches of his grace
4. Water Baptism is only a picture/symbol/illustration of the work of Jesus Christ that we trust in
a. Note: Jesus never baptized anybody with water
b. He baptizes with the Holy Ghost, and with fire
c. It is like my wedding ring on my finger – it does not make me married – it just symobolizes that I committed my love to one woman for life!
C. Listen to the Words of Romans 6
1. We have no reason to continue living in any sin (Romans 6:1) What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2. We ARE dead to sin (Romans 6:2) God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
3. We have been Baptized into JESUS… (Romans 6:3,4)
a. That means, baptized, immersed into what Jesus Christ did for you and me on the cross… listen!
b. Into His DEATH - Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
c. BURIAL - Romans 6:4a Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death:…
d. RESURRECTION – Romans 6:4b …that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
4. By faith, we have been “planted together in the LIKENESS” of Christ’s Crucifixion (Romans 6:5)
a. Romans 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection
5. Accept the OUTCOME/RESULTS of Christ’s death, burial and resurrection (Romans 6:6)
a. A week’s worth of truth in this next verse!!!
1) Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
2) “that henceforth we should not serve sin”
b. To serve means to do the bidding of, the commands of, or to obey anymore
c. No Christian should serve sin anymore
d. You will have sin screaming for your attention all your life – pulling at you, knocking on your heart, reminding you of past thrills and pleasures
e. It is like a spoiled brat child in your home, demanding you feed him, and entertain him, and coddle him, and cater to his whims
f. But a GOOD parent learns that they do not have to serve that kid anymore – and that the brat can be IGNORED!
g. And so does a good Christian realize they don’t have to give into their flesh and sinful desires like they used to!
6. Sin is not in charge of any believer anymore! (Romans 6:7-10)
a. We are FREE now! Not when we die and enter heaven, but NOW!!!
b. Romans 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
c. Romans 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
d. Romans 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
e. Romans 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
7. So, start reckoning it – believing it is so (Romans 6:11-14)
a. Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
b. Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
c. Romans 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
d. Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
D. Baptism Shows Our Identity – how we are different (Colossians 3)
1. We are dead (Colossians 3:1-3)
a. 1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
b. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
c. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
d. What a strange truth, and yet, what a great truth!
e. There is something about us now that is D.E.A.D.
1) Unresponsive – not alive, or responding to sin anymore
2) Sin does not attract us and move us and animate us and thrill us
f. Before conversion, we were dead to God
1) Only superficial worship, lip service, only living for ourselves, headed for hell.
2) Not worried about our soul, or about hell, or about doing right
g. After getting saved, we become dead to our old life, our sinful past, and to sin’s power now, headed for heaven!
1) Hey! NOW we are dead to sin in the same way we were dead towards God
2) We are surrounded by sin, but it doesn’t impress us, or pull at us much
3) It’s like the power plug has been pulled on all that motivated us and pulled at us all our lives before salvation – the buzz is gone
2. Our sins have been buried – gone
a. As far as the east is from the west (Psalm 103:12) As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
b. No monuments to our old sins – which makes them easily forgotten (Isaiah 43:25) I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.
c. All our sins have been thrown away by God (Micah 7:18,19) Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy. He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.
3. We are left with a brand new life to live now!
a. That is what we have been given by Jesus Christ
b. It is what we are now – alive, clean, forgiven
c. 1Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
d. 1Corinthians 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
e. 1Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
4. What that means…
a. It means now that whatever used to grip your heart, your thoughts, your life can be put away, mortified, buried and moved on from
b. Daily, every moment
c. Listen to Colossians 3:5-9
1) Col 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
2) Col 3:6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
3) Col 3:7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
4) Col 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
5) Col 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
6) What is killing and damning others, we are free from and can walk away from
a) Drink, Pornography, rebellion
b) Anger, Bitterness, sharp tongue
c) Our past, Our fears
d) It does NOT matter what it is
e) WE ARE FREE NOW!
1. What Does Baptism actually picture/symbolize?
2. Baptism is the expression of the death, burial and new life of Christ throughout my life now
3. OUR FOUNDATION - The first baptism was on the cross!
a. Mark 10:36-39 And he said unto them, What would ye that I should do for you? They said unto him, Grant unto us that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on thy left hand, in thy glory. But Jesus said unto them, Ye know not what ye ask: can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? And they said unto him, We can. And Jesus said unto them, Ye shall indeed drink of the cup that I drink of; and with the baptism that I am baptized withal shall ye be baptized
b. What is Jesus speaking of? His death on the cross, His burial, and then His resurrection 3 days later
c. THAT is THE baptism to focus on
1) Remember these three things
4. OUR SALVATION - My salvation was a baptism into Christ
a. Taken from being under the condemnation and wrath of God for my sin
b. And being placed INTO the life of Jesus Christ
1) 1Corinthians 12:12,13 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
2) 2Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
c. How did I get INTO Christ?
d. By ASKING to be saved from the wrath to come!
e. By believing that Christ’s death, burial and resurrection is enough to pay for all my sin
1) 1Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
f. THAT is the good news for sinners!
5. BELIEVER’S WATER BAPTISM - My water baptism pictures all of that
a. Romans 6:3,4 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
6. THE CHRISTIAN’S NEW LIFE - My life now is a life that is now…
a. Dead to every sinful habit
b. Burial of all my past, and my memories of the old me
c. And alive now to God, and His will, and His ways of doing things
d. At Baptism, a believer is:
1) OUTED - It is the outing of a believer. Announces to the world that you are living in a different kingdom now, a different culture
2) SEPARATED - A complete break from the old life we used to live. It is a break with YOUR past (everybody wants to rewrite history instead of writing a new chapter in history)
3) NEW - It shows the new life we are committed to living from now on. "As Christ was raised up from the dead, by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." Romans 6:4
4) REAL - It reflects the clean heart – not the other way around
a) Your clothing that you wear, and that you allow your daughters especially to wear reflects the heart
b) Your face reflects your heart
c) Skin colour never reflects what’s in your heart – I wish people would learn that
d) Your words reveal what is going on in your heart – when you use such vile words like the lost around you, it should scare you and drive you to your knees in absolute brokenness and shame and repentance asking God to cleanse you and make you REAL again
5) PLEASING TO GOD - Scriptural baptism pleases the Lord. When Jesus was baptized, God the Father said, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased" (Matthew 3:17). When we follow the example of the Lord Jesus Christ, we please the Father.
6) A POWERFUL PUBLIC TESTIMONY - Scriptural baptism is a testimony to the world. Jesus said, "Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 10:32). Our baptism is a public testimony of our faith in the Lord Jesus: Christ, and the way in which we identify ourselves with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection.
7. It is for Believers only
a. Salvation is a desperate cry to be saved from the wrath of God
b. Baptism is a glad shout about being saved!
c. No NOT swap those – they have to be in that order!
F. What if You Don’t WANT to be Baptized?
1. Then you are not following Jesus – you are stubbornly NOT doing things that HE did
2. Even JESUS was baptized
3. The only person in the Bible who didn’t get baptized after getting saved was a man who was attached to a cross and dying – the believing thief next to Jesus
4. So… what’s YOUR excuse?
A. Don’t think for a minute that you need to be baptized to be saved
B. Jesus saves – not water!