The Book of Joshua
Focus Verse: Joshua 1:9 Lesson Verse: Romans 10:11
1. A swelling river named Jordan.
2. A fortified city name Jericho.
3. And beyond them, the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Hivites, Perizzites, Girgashites, and the Jebusites!
4. If you thought about it, you would get bogged-down in the length of the battle ahead, instead of the promise of victory that God gives you (Cf 1:1-9)!
1. Exodus 1:18-20
2. James 2:25
3. Like many did in WW2
1. Rahab's family had to go down to the Red Light district, to a house of "ill-repute." They HAD to humble themselves - there is no other way! God will pull folks down as low as He can get them in order to get them saved. They HAVE to come DOWN, to be able to go UP!
2. This is how God works (1 Cor 1:18-29). Totally different than man's ways - so that no flesh might glory in his sight!
a. Here is true "salvation" - saved FROM something - from the destruction of the wrath of God against SIN (Gen 15:13-16)!!!
b. Salvation requires people to number themselves with transgressors, publicans, sinners, and harlots (Mt 21:28-32)
c. Our problem is in trying to get sinners to take their place WITH sinners. They must get lost in order to get found! (Matt 9:10-13)
1. It is always a great thing to discover God's promises are true!
2. The inhabitants of the world "faint" because of STRONG Christians. That's why Satan's primary effort is directed against Christian unity based upon TRUTH, and RIGHT ACTIONS!
3. These Jews would have been here 40 years earlier if they hadn't listened to the 10 faithless spies in Numbers 13 and 14. Their unbelief cost them dearly (Cf Heb 3:7-13)
III. Conclusion and Study Questions
A. What was the name of the woman in Jericho that repented? Rahab.
B. What was her occupation and lifestyle before salvation? A harlot.
C. What was her main concern? Her family’s safety and salvation from the wrath to come!
D. How long had the Jews been wandering in the wilderness before arriving in the Promised Land? 40 years.