What The Blood Cannot Wash Away – Part 1
Things That Cannot Be Forgiven
Pastor Craig Ledbetter
Bible Baptist Church, Ballincollig, Cork, Ireland
DATE: 28 Sept, 1997 AM PLACE: BBC Blarney
DATE: 20 Oct, 2002 PM PLACE: BBC Blarney
DATE: 20 Mar, 2016 PM PLACE: BBC Ballincollig
I. Introduction (Heb 9:22)
A. The blood of Jesus Christ is the most powerful cleansing agent in the universe - completely washes sins away, and makes us white as snow!
B. It is the blood, shed specifically on the cross that remits (erases, removes) sins from our record, and brings forgiveness from God
1. From the time of the Garden of Eden, blood has had to be shed to keep people from dying under the wrath of God
2. Worship required the payment of sin debts first before worship was accepted – so people had to bring lambs, and lots of them!
3. Jesus was the final Lamb of God, that could take away the sins of the whole world
C. But, as you see tonight, the blood just cannot cleanse some things - hear me out - let’s see what they are, and learn why they can’t be erased!
II. Background - What the Blood of Jesus Christ DOES Wash Away (Isa 1:18)
A. Your Record - all your past sins, present, and future sins too (1 John 1:7; Rom 5:9; Rom 8:1)! All your sins were FUTURE when Jesus died on the cross!
B. Your Resentment (Eph 2:12,13) – the division between you and God. Replaced with JOY.
C. Your Regrets - your conscience (Heb 9:13,14; 10:19). NO CHRISTIAN SHOULD HAVE REGRETS! Remorse is a different matter, but it must pass!
D. Your Reason (motive) for sinning (Rom 6:11-18) - you no longer have to sin – the power of sin has been unplugged in your life, once you have trusted Christ! You have to start believing that!
E. And the most wonderful things about the blood is that it is active (1John 1:7)
III. Message - What The Blood Cannot Wash Away – Part 1 Hebrews 9:22)
A. Sins That Aren’t There (Heb 10:17) - The Ghosts of Sins Past
1. Sins that are Forgiven Already (Heb 10:10-18) - settle your salvation today! Quit trying to confess sins that you surrendered to Christ long ago!
a. There are two reasons why people have problems with sins in their lives:
1) They never got forgiven - maybe you only did a religious act (prayed, sweated, worried), but did not have a broken heart, full of repentance, and trust in the Saviour to save - to pay-off all your sins by His grace!
2) You have been deceived into thinking you can never really be totally forgiven by the blood of Christ! Let me tell you, when you come to Christ, and repent of your sinfulness, and cling only to Him, no matter WHAT you may feel, no matter WHAT you may do in life - if you repented, and trusted Christ, then they were ALL forgiven (past, present and future)!
b. So, Instead of living in Limbo, either get saved, or get busy! Quit worrying about all your past sins! All of them was the reason for Christ
2. False Guilt (Mt 15:1,2,11,20)
a. Religious guilt, based on religious traditions, superstitions
1) Not washing hands before eating, is not sin - disgusting, but not sin
2) Walking under a ladder is not sin - stupid maybe, but not sin
3) Not praying through all your beads - skipping a few decalogues on the rosary – now they want to add a bunch more things to repeat over and over!
b. Abusive Guilt
1) Many a child has had false guilt for problems in their home
a) Like when parents have fights, or even divorce
b) The blood can not wash those away because there is nothing to wash away!
c) The parents need to repent and do right
2) Many a child has been abused, and then blamed as doing wrong, when it was the abuser! The priests, and the paedophiles!
3) So many children have been emotionally beaten, and always think of themselves as BAD because they never pleased their daddy, or their mother’s expectations – there is no need for forgiveness there – just Jesus to heal the crushed soul!