Applying Loving Thy Neighbour Beyond the Norm!
Pastor Craig Ledbetter
Bible Baptist Church, Ballincollig, Cork, Ireland
July 31, 2016 AM BBC Ballincollig
I. Introduction (Galatians 5:14)
A. The Bible commands us to love people in the same way that we love ourselves
B. Yet there are many people that we find hard to love, and treat equal to ourselves:
1. The unlovely – not worth loving
2. The hard to love – not easy to love
3. And… The Not Yet Born
C. If the truth be told…
1. Most people believe pregnancy is an accident that needs to be controlled
2. Believe that children should only be born if they are wanted!
3. Believe that there are way too many children and people today – the planet is way too full!
4. There is very little popular support for protecting the life of the Not Yet Born anymore
5. Ireland will probably go the way of the rest of this world, and will bring on the slaughter of thousands and thousands of innocent lives – lives that just weren’t wanted
6. It’s a pity that so many Christians don’t know what the Bible says, and won’t fight to protect the life of the unborn
D. Your and my view of the Unborn reflects on our view of life, of ourselves, and ultimately of God!
E. This morning, you need to see from the Bible what is at stake, and start to speak up and stand in defence of THE most vulnerable in Ireland
II. Background - How we got here
A. Creation versus Evolution was Fought without a Fight
1. Today, there are so many illiterate Christians – What I mean by that is, they don’t know their Bible and they don’t know science. They just float along by their feelings, and make decisions based on how they feel at the moment.
2. If only you knew that there are more than 10,000 rock solid, fully degreed scientists all over the world who firmly believe the Bible’s statements about Creation, and are not evolutionists!
3. The reason why you rarely hear about THEM is because they are treated like the plague and often hounded out of universities and government positions. I personally know of TWO here in Cork at UCC
4. Pseudo-scientists like Richard Dawkins and Bill Nye the “Science Guy” spout off evolutionary dogma on every TV channel like it is proven! Which it isn’t!
5. The actual debate on God and Evolution was settled before it really began, years ago by people’s desire, not to know the truth, but to find a way to live without God
6. If there is no God
a. Then there are no limits
b. We ARE all only animals
c. And we all deserve the right to do as we please
d. Those that are strongest and most popular decide what is right and wrong
e. And that is exactly what Hitler decided – “might makes right”
(a) So he conquered the lesser humans like Polish and the Jews
(b) Slaughtered 9 million Russians
(c) Slaughtered 6 million Jews
(d) He got rid of the lame, the mentally retarded, the down syndrome children, and the unwanted children
(e) Because he firmly believed in evolution and HE was capable of running things
7. If there IS a God, who actually DID create everything in 6 days, and gave us His Laws…
a. Then there are precise limits to what people can and cannot do without consequences
b. Human beings, all of them, are more than just animals, but are in the image of God!
c. None of us deserve to live and so as we please
d. And we will ALL answer to Him one day for how we lived by those laws
B. No Need for a Creator, or a Moral Lawgiver?
1. When people believe we can figure everything out on our own, the world falls apart
2. Marriages are on the way out
a. Less than half of the people living together will ever get married
b. The number of people even getting married in Ireland is on the way down
3. Divorce and separation is rampant amongst those that attempt marriage
4. Genders and differences are no longer respected and protected
5. Drugs are rampant
6. Drink is selling at an all time high
7. Suicides are at an all time high
8. Governments only operate to please the people – laws are written and rewritten faster than ever
9. Murders get 7 years in prison now! Brian Hennesy killed his sister and her two young daughters Zsara (7) and Nadia (2) in 2008 and was sentenced to only 7 years!
10. And abortion on demand becomes enshrined in the laws of almost every Western Nation
a. Today, 56 million unborn babies have died at the hand of the “Me First” Philosophy in the US
b. And over 20 million in the UK since the 1960’s
c. Russia murders a million a year
(a) In 2001, 1.31 million children were born in Russia, while 2.11 million abortions were performed.
(b) in 1965, 5.5 million abortions were performed, the highest number in Russia’s history.
(c) In total since 1920 when the USSR legalised abortion on demand (the first country to do so), almost 100 million Not Yet Born babies were terminated!
d. China does not even report their count of abortions!!!
e. Someone worked through all the statistics and came to a colossal number for the total number of abortions for the last 60 years and put it at almost 1 billion babies!!!
f. THAT is the fruit living without God!
g. Listen to the words of Barak Obama! At a town hall meeting in Johnstown, Pennsylvania on a Saturday afternoon in 2008, Barack Obama told the crowd that he didn't want his daughters, "punished with a baby." Listen: "Look, I've got two daughters... I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."
C. Everyone wants their rights – except when it comes to the Not Yet Born.
1. They can’t speak, so they can’t be heard!
2. Funny how Blacks weren’t allowed to speak in their own defence
3. Folks, you had better get to know what is at stake
D. The only reason why you aren’t upset about the state of things is because it hasn’t really affected you yet!
E. All that to say this, no wonder the life of the Not Yet Born is at risk!
A. Made In the Image of the Creator
1. Genesis 1:26,27 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
2. Genesis 5:1,2 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
3. Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man. God takes murder VERY seriously!
4. What it means:
a. Man is different than all of the rest of creation
b. Man was designed by God with attributes, characteristics just like God
(a) We speak and communicate
(b) We write and express ourselves
(c) We create and design new things
(d) We live forever – just like God – but not all WITH God!
c. Mankind has been given dominion over everything else. Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
5. So, When God wanted to save the human race, He came into our world as a HUMAN, and died for all men everywhere! Not for animals, or birds, or bugs.
B. Marvellously Made (Psalm 139:13-16)
1. A Mommy and Daddy have been given the gift of giving life (Genesis 4:1) – conception is a miracle!
a. Nothing is more marvellous than grasping how a new life is formed!
b. It all starts with two very different single cells, that come from two very opposite kinds of people, in a way that make marriage wonderful!
c. From those two cells, and against all odds, a new life is formed!
d. It is no accident, and it doesn’t JUST happen!
2. At conception, everything is settled about the Not Yet Born Child
a. His or her gender
b. The colour of their hair
c. How tall they will get
d. The colour of their skin
e. The shape of their ears
f. Their initial temperament – calm, loud, cuddly, stiff, compliant, rebellious…
3. What is it like in the womb?
a. By day 25, (not even a month from conception) the heart is pumping, the brain has formed, the eyes have appeared, and the face is distinctly human!
b. All the fingers and toes are fully formed and growing after just 6 weeks!
c. At 7 weeks, not even 2 months from conception, the Not Yet Born child can HEAR!
d. At 9 weeks, the Not Yet Born Child starts moving and kicking and swimming!
e. At 10 weeks, they feel and respond to pain
f. At 21 weeks (4 months from conception), they can survive outside of the womb!
g. James Elgin Gill (born on 20 May 1987 in Ottawa, Canada) was the earliest premature baby in the world. He was 128 days premature (21 weeks and 5 days gestation) and weighed 1 pound 6 ounces (624 g). He survived and is quite healthy.
4. Obviously people are amazed at the life of a baby when they hold him or her at birth
5. But we all need to be educated that the Not Yet Born Child is just as awesome!
C. The question arises… when is a child a child?
D. This is how God describes the mother of an unborn child…
1. The Bible uses a wonderful phrase to describe pregnancy (Gen 16:8-11; 1Sam 4:19).
2. Even in incest and rape, the unborn baby is said to be a CHILD (Gen 19:36)
3. A child conceived by Adultery, and harlotry is still a CHILD! (Gen 38:24)
4. Adultery again! 2Sa 11:3-5
5. From the moment of CONCEPTION, Jesus was a child
a. Mat 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
b. Mat 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
c. Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
E. We are quite human and have been given absolute rights by our creator from conception
1. The growth and development of a Not Yet Born Child is the work of God, not just nature! Ecc 11:5 As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all.
2. God knew us and purposed us BEFORE we were ever born!
Before I formed thee in the
belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I
sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
But when it pleased God, who
separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace.
3. John the Baptist was a BABY before birth, and was able to hear and understand things going on around him, and was even filled with the Holy Ghost – all before birth
a. Luke 1:13-15 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
b. Luke 1:41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:
4. I think the Not Yet Born Baby is a BABY! Just not born yet!
F. ‘Not Yet Born’ Does NOT Mean…
1. Not yet alive
2. Not less human than those of us who were allowed to exit the womb alive
3. Not just a “blob of human tissue”
4. Only a foetus
5. Not viable
a. In the first week of July, 2012, in Longmont, Colo., a drunk six-time driving while intoxicated offender ran a red light and struck another car before fleeing the scene.
b. Heather Surovik, the pregnant driver of the second car, was critically injured; her nearly full-term fetus/baby, already named Brady Paul, died.
c. The local media differed in reporting the story, some referring to a “fetus,” some to a “baby.”
d. A Denver Post story said “unborn child” in the headline and referred several times to the “baby.”
e. So one frustrated reader commented: So if it’s an unborn [thing] that a woman WANTS to keep, it’s a baby … if she wishes to have an abortion it’s a fetus. Geez, people, make up your mind.
f. Truer words were never spoken!
g. By the way. The driver, Gary Sheets was only charged with assault (because the mother lived), and was not charged in any way at all, even though the near term Not Yet Born child was killed!
G. What ‘Not Yet Born’ DOES Mean is
1. It cannot defend itself
2. It DEPENDS solely upon their mother for their protection
3. It naturally WANTS to live and be given a CHANCE to live!
4. He/she has the equal right to life as much as the Mother does!
H. So many ways and reasons to justify the killing of a Not Yet Born Child
1. Popular Reasons Include:
a. Fear of pregnancy
b. Financial hardships relating to having children
c. Suspected foetal complications in the womb – 90% of them are disproven at birth
d. Down syndrome children
e. Threat of suicide – as dealt with by the X case
f. Danger to the life of the mother – extremely rare
g. Being forced to carry a pregnancy to term
h. Risk to health… people believe that when a woman has heart and vascular diseases, pulmonary diseases, kidney diseases, extensive hernias, abdominal and pelvic and benign tumours, urological problems, orthopaedic problems, breathing problems and many other problems, then the not yet born child bring undue burdens on the health of the mother.
i. Rape and incest
j. Lack of a committed father
k. Inconvenience, and disruption to the mother’s or the father’s lifestyles – plenty of men want their pregnant girlfriends to get rid of the thing!
l. Women already are travelling to get an abortion
2. Oh yeah. Never expect anybody to take responsibility – just kill the baby!
a. I believe if anybody should be killed, it is the rapist, or the incestuous father or uncle!
b. It’s awful, that today people have forced the removal of the death penalty, yet demand the ability for any woman, anywhere to MURDER a not yet born child on a whim! THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MONTH OR TWO!
I. Example of woman writing her Mom in 2023
January 22, 2023
Can you believe it is already the year 2023? I’m still writing ’22 on everything! It seems like only yesterday that I was sitting in my first class and celebrating the change to a new century.
I know we really haven’t chatted since Christmas, Mom, and I’m sorry. Anyway, I have some difficult news to share with you and, to be honest, I really didn’t want to call or talk about this face to face.
But before I get to that, let me report that Ted just got a big promotion, and I should be up for a hefty raise this year if I keep putting in all those crazy hours. You know how I work at it. (Yes, we’re still struggling to pay the bills.)
Little Timmy’s been okay at kindergarten, although he complains about going. But then, he wasn’t happy about the day-care centre either. So what can we do?
He’s been a real problem, Mom. He’s a good kid, but quite honestly, he’s an unfair burden on us at this time in our lives. Ted and I have talked this through, and we have finally made a choice. Plenty of other families have made the same choice and are really better off today. Our pastor is supportive of our choice. He pointed out the family is a system, and the demands of one member shouldn’t be allowed to ruin the whole. The pastor told us to be prayerful and to consider all the factors as to what is right to make our family work. He says that even though he probably wouldn’t do it himself, the choice really is ours. He was kind enough to refer us to a children’s clinic near here, so at least that part is easy. Don’t get me wrong, Mom. I’m not an uncaring mother. I do feel sorry for the little guy. I think he heard Ted and me talking about this the other night. I turned and saw him standing at the bottom of the stairs in his PJ’s with his little teddy bear that you gave him under his arm, and his eyes were sort of welled up with tears.
Mom, the way he looked at me just about broke my heart, but I honestly believe this is better for Timmy, too. It’s just not fair to force him to live in a family that can’t give him the time and attention he deserves.
And please, Mom, don’t give me the kind of grief that grandma gave you over your abortions. It’s the same thing, you know. There’s really no difference.
We’ve told Timmy he’s just going in for a “vaccination.” Anyway, they say the termination procedure is painless. I guess it’s just as well that you haven’t seen that much of little Timmy lately.
Please give my love to Dad.
Signed, Your daughter
1. Don’t you like that? Why is 5 minutes BEFORE birth different than 5 minutes AFTER birth?
J. So many different opinions, so many stigmas, so many needs to satisfy
1. Stigmas are now attached to…
a. Down Syndrome Children – they are sub-human (yet are the sweetest humans you could ever meet)
b. Adoption – so no one wants to even think of putting an Irish baby up for adoption! Unthinkable!
c. Having so many children are looked down upon
d. The abuses of the past – forced adoptions, Mother and baby homes for the unmarried
e. Anti-abortion has been too dominated by religions
2. So abortion has been made the best answer for “problem pregnancies”
3. I wonder if anybody thought of asking JESUS? (Matthew 24:15-19)
a. He considered a woman with an unborn child as carrying a child! Not a blob of tissue!
b. And He warned of a day when the majority of people would think it were better to never have children (Luke 23:29)
A. The move is on to replace one of the most marvellous works of law in the Irish Constitution – the 8th Amendment
1. Approved and came into law September 1983
2. Recognized the right to life of an unborn child.
3. Article 40.3.3° reads: The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right.
B. Never let it be said that a Bible Believing Christian would ever choose to murder the life of the Not Yet Born in the name of personal freedom
C. It has never been easy to carry a baby, give birth, and raise that child to adulthood
D. Your view of the Unborn reflects on your view of life, of yourselves, and ultimately of God!
1. Believe what God says about the Not Yet Born
2. Start to Love thy neighbour (no matter how small) as much as you love yourself! If YOU love being alive, then protect those who cannot speak for themselves
3. Begin to intercede in prayer first for the Not Yet Born, and for our nation as a people about to make ANOTHER decision without God or Right!
4. Contact your TD and let them know you are for KEEPING the EIGTH Amendment and protecting the life of the Unborn!
E. There are two deaths to focus on right now – both are murders, but only one actually brought good!
1. One death may save a career or a reputation. The other death occurred to save mankind.
2. One death was to make life easier. The other was to make life holy.
3. One death only brought death. The other death brought Life, both now and forever.
4. One death makes one kind of doctor richer. The other death made all men richer.
5. One death brings regret. The other death brings forgiveness, even extended to those who abort.
F. Remember, God could have aborted US when WE became a problem, and a burden, and ruined everything!
G. Yet He self-sacrificed Himself, so that by simple, child-like faith we could live forever, forgiven, and accepted! (Romans 5:6,8) For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.