A Study of How to Turn Hearts to God!
Memory Verse: Romans 12:11 Lesson Verse: Mark 16:15
I. Introduction. What are your responsibilities in taking the Gospel to the world?
A. In order for you to get saved, someone was responsible for taking the time to bring the saving message of the gospel to you. Make no mistake about it - no one just “becomes” a Christian. They must be urged to repent, and trust only in Christ as it is declared in the Bible (see Acts 26:17,18).
B. That responsibility of “preaching the Gospel” was then passed upon you, so that others around you might be saved! That responsibility does not rest only with preachers, and pastors, but with every Christian!
C. As Christians, we are commanded by the Lord to do our part in evangelising the whole world with the gospel (Matt 28:19,20; Acts 1:8).
D. This lesson will focus on equipping you with the key Scripture verses that you can use to lead someone to Christ, as well as practical ways to make the Gospel clearly understood by the hearer.
II. The Need for the Soul-Winner (Romans 10) - Someone who persuades people about Christ’s saving power.
A. The Soul-Winner is Needed Because of The Condition of the World (Rom 10:1-3) - LOST
1. Everybody is “religious” (Jew, Gentile, heathen, civilized) - working their way to God and heaven! But ______ are saved (Mt 7:13,14).
2. Everybody is born _________ (Eph 4:17-19). They are blind and incapable of getting to heaven. It is not “in them” to know how to come to Christ! By nature they are “the children of ___________” (Eph 2:3).
3. Everybody is ______ - hell-bound (Mt 23:33) - In need of being saved!
B. The Soul-Winner is Needed Because of The Power of the of Truth (Rom 10:4-8)
1. God’s Truth makes a person ______ from the condemnation of this world (John 3:18, 36; 8:32).
2. God’s Truth directs a sinner to the Saviour - It stops them from trying to get to Christ their own way - they must come God’s prescribed way!
3. God’s Truth can be possessed by anyone, anywhere, right in the palm of the hands, and even on the tip of the tongue (Rom 10:8).
C. The Soul-Winner is Needed Because of The Simplicity of Salvation (Rom 10:9-13). A person must:
1. Believe what God says about their condition - that they are a sinner.
2. Accept Christ’s crucifixion as sufficient to pay-off all their sins.
3. Submit to Christ’s Lordship - allowing Him to be Master of their life.
4. Confess (testify, and then live) the true testimony of this Bible.
5. Never be ashamed of God’s plan - You can confidently live now that you have heaven for sure!
It is all wrapped up in a person simply “calling upon the Lord and asking Him to save them from their deserved punishment of hell!”
D The Soul-Winner is Needed Because of The Lack of _____________ (Rom 10:14,15; Luke 10:1,2). It has never been a popular job!
1. How will people call on Someone they don’t ___________ in?
2. How will they believe on Someone that they never ________ about?
3. How shall people hear without some sort of a ___________?
4. How shall they preach without other Christians sending them? Supporting them as they go freely - as missionaries and church planters?
E. The Soul-Winner is Needed Because it is the Only Way that Works (Rom 10:16,17). Truly, not everyone who hears will believe the gospel. But there is no better way! Faith is all that God is looking for (Heb 11:6)! And faith ONLY comes by hearing the presentation of the word of God - not through miracles and visions, and gifts - but through proclaiming Christ’s love for sinners!
The Work of the Gospel
1. As a Christian, you must realize that you yourself cannot "save" another person's soul, nor can you by your own power draw that person to the point of salvation - you can’t force people to respond.
2. The Son had to first completely pay for their sins through His sacrifice on the cross (2 Cor 5:21), as the Lamb of God.
3. The Holy Spirit must ____________ them of their sin (John 16:7-11). People must realize that they are guilty before God.
4. The Father must ________ them to the point of salvation (John 6:44)
B. Your Part. While the supernatural act of salvation can only be done by God alone (John 1:12,13), it is the Christian that God has chosen to use as a tool to bring about salvation!
1. In Matthew 13:3-8, we are the __________ that sows the seed of the word of God in the hearts of hearers (Mt 13:18-23).
2. 2 Corinthians 5:17-20 states that we are ________________ that must reconcile man to his creator through salvation
3. Open people’s _______ (Acts 26:17,18) - takes a lot of effort!
4. Patiently chip away at people’s misunderstandings (2 Tim 2:24-26)
Some thoughts: make sure that you pray before you go and present the Gospel. Let God cleanse you from personal sins, and then empower you to do this most miraculous work! Also, try and always have a partner with you who can pray while you witness, or who can witness while you pray.
5. Have the right tools with you:
a. Use well-written Gospel leaflets! Make sure that everyone gets a Gospel leaflet that you talk to so that they can read it later if they don't get saved right then.
b. Have a New Testament with you. Mark the important verses (i.e., Romans 3:10, 23; 6:23; 5:8, 10:13, 17; John 1:11,12; etc.).
c. Use your own testimony of how you got saved.
d. Keep your breath clean - use breath-mints!
6. Bring current events into the conversation in order to get them to realize that life is short and that they need a Saving God, not just a religious system!
7. Have set times to go - Participate in church-wide soul-winning. If you don’t make time for this, it will never get done, and you are in disobedience to our Lord’s greatest command to the Christian!
The Presentation of the Gospel
A. Work Through The Following Stages of Soul-Winning
1. Conversation/Current Events - Look for ways to get the Scriptures into the conversation (like Jesus did with the woman at the well in John 4).
2. Convincement - Convince them that the Scriptures are truth (Rom 3:4)
3. Conviction (Guilty) - Work the Scriptures into their situation so they can be convicted of sin. Get them to _________ the Scriptures (Jn 5:39) to see that their own good works and religion have failed them (Tit 3:5).
4. Conversion - Press them for a decision, and wait for Conversion (John 3:3,7) - This is a work only the Holy Spirit can do (John 16:7-11).
5. Confession- Encourage public Confession (Rom 10:10,11; Jn 12:42,43).
6. Commitment - Get them to realize that Christ is committed to them, and therefore, they should now be totally committed and loyal to HIM, at the cost of everything else (John 6:66-68; Mt 10:37,38)!
B. What the Hearer Must Realize
1. A person must realize that he is a ___________ (Rom 3:10,23).
2. A person must understand that _______ died for him while he was still a ________, and NOT after he got his life cleaned up (Rom 5:8).
3. A person must come to God with genuine, godly repentance (Rom 2:4; Acts 20:21; 2Cor 7:10). Emphasize the meaning of repentance: To change your life's direction because you realize you are UNgodly (currently going against God's laws), and are headed for judgment.
4. A person must believe that he can only be justified (i.e., made righteous in God's sight) by trusting the blood of Jesus Christ to have paid for all his sins (Rom 5:9; Eph 1:7).
5. A person must above all understand that it is his faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ that saves him, and not any additional good works (Rom 3:28).
6. A person must call upon the Lord Jesus and ask Him specifically to save them (Rom 10:9,10,13). God cannot do it without their request!
C. A Sample Presentation - Get the conversation going
"If you died today, wouldn't you like to know that you would be in heaven?" "If so, let me show you out of the Bible..."
Hindrances to the Presentation of the Gospel
A. Your Life not Being a Good Example - When your walk does not match your talk. You may be the only Bible that your co-workers, and family will ever read (2 Cor 3:2). Therefore, don't give anybody an excuse from being saved because your "walk" is no different than theirs (2 Cor 6:17)! Live what you preach (Rom 2:21-23)!
B. Watch Your Surroundings
1. Get away from disturbances (turn off the TV, radio).
2. Have your partner occupy the attention of any children, or the spouse if they are present in the room.
3. Get somewhere where you can comfortably open the Bible so it can be seen by both you and the other person.
From Scripture to Show People How to be Saved
to answer the questions of Roman Catholicism.
authority being only the Bible (Matt 4:4; Rom 3:4;
John 17:17; John 8:32,36)
was a sinner - not sinless (Luke 2:21-24; Rom 3:10,23)
needed a Saviour (Luke 1:47)
had brothers and sisters (Matt 12:46-50; 13:55,56;
Mark 6:3; Gal 1:19)
is no need to pray through Mary, or any saint (1 Tim
ends up substituting the tradition of men in the place of the commandments of
God (Mark 7:7,10)
is not by works at all (Eph 2:8,9; Tit 2:5; Isa 64:5),
no matter how good they are.
out for anyone who forbids people to marry
or to eat meats (1Tim 4:1-3)
pastors are to be married as a general rule (1Tim 3:2).
Peter was married (Mt 8:14)
is NOT important to our salvation (1Cor 1:17)
- it is only for after salvation.
hates the Rosary (Matt 6:7), and any other
is no purgatory (2 Cor 5:8; Heb 1:3; 9:27; Rom 8:1)
- either heaven or hell!
person is justified only by faith alone in Christ Jesus (Rom
1:17; Gal 2:16)
finished paying for ALL of my sins on the cross (John
relating to Protestantism
(Many of the issues are the same as with Catholicism)
righteousness is the worst sin (1 John 1:8,10; Rom
that “My church is better than others”
is not what matters with God (John 3:3)
keep the 10 commandments” is impossible (James
2:10; Tit 3:5). Everyone must repent and be born again.
“I am part of the elect” is only
true if you are a Jew (Isa 55:6,7; 1 John 2:2)
To Deal with a Jehovah’s Witness.
These people have been really confused.
is God come in the flesh (1Ti 3:16; Mt 1:23; Isa
7:14; Ro 9:5; 1Jn 5:20; Heb 1:8)
is the Jehovah of the Old Testament (Isa 40:3 &
Matt 3:3; Dt 10:17 & Rev 19:16; Ps 68:18 & Eph 4:8-10; Ex 3:14 &
is equal with God (Philp 2:6-9; Isa 43:10,11; 44:6,8)
is eternal (Micah 5:2)
trinity concept is Scriptural (2 Cor 13:14; Gal
4:4-6; Gen 1:26)
is a heaven full of mansions (John 14:1-3)
144,000 witnesses of Revelation 12 are real Jewish male virgins (Rev
prophet ever makes a false prediction, that person is to be stoned with stones,
and disregarded (Dt 18:20-22)
Jesus does come back, every eye shall see Him (Rev
Holy Spirit really is a real person (John 16:13)
is literal and eternal (Matt 23:33; Rev 14:11; 20:10;
to Deal with a Mormon about salvation.
Exclusivity of Jesus Christ to salvation (John
14:6; Hos 13:4)
You can know that you have eternal life right now based upon the sole
authority of the written word of God (1 John 5:11-13)
Baptism is not important (1 Cor 1:17)
Decide the final authority issue (Rom 3:4;
John 17:17; John 8:32,36; Matt 4:4)
God has no body, but rather is a spirit (John
Jesus is God come in the flesh (1 Tim 3:16)
God has always been, and always will be - never created (Ps
Only Satan teaches that man can become like God (Gen
3:5; Isa 14:13,14)
The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses the sinner from SIN (1
The Gospel is the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus for our sins (1
The true church of Jesus Christ never disappeared (Matt
Disregard genealogies and fables (1 Tim 1:4)