The Spiritual Warfare of the Christian
August 11, 2013 AM
Pastor Craig Ledbetter
I. Introduction (Ephesians 6:12; Matthew 11:12)
A. We Are in A Spiritual War
1. There are TWO realms, two kingdoms at war all around you! (Mt 11:12)
a. Whether we like it or not
b. Whether we are prepared for it or not!
c. Whether we believe in it or not!
2. The apostle Paul refers to it as WRESTLING – hand to hand combat:
a. Not Remote control fighting
b. Not shooting from a distance
c. Not virtual like in computer games
d. But hand-to-hand, hand on neck, blow by blow fighting!
3. It is a fight for souls of men and women
4. It is a fight for dominion
5. It is the most important event going on right now! Forget about all that the newspapers and news programmes are talking about!
B. Five Spiritual Facts
1. Every human being is more than just flesh and bones – we are a body, soul and SPIRIT (1st Thes 5:23)
2. God is not an alien living on another planet – God is a Spirit (John 4:24) and He is not far from any one of us!
3. Not every illness or problem is only physical – some, and even many are spiritual problems (Luke 13:11-16) – and no amount of drugs, or therapy will cure them!
4. This life is temporary – the next one is eternal (Matthew 25:46)!
5. Satan will win if we do not put up a good fight!
C. Rarely are Christians ready for the ‘spiritual’ fight that they are in!
1. We fight well in the flesh – oftentimes too good!
2. But we are wimps about spiritual fights
a. We have very little power with God
b. We get so few prayers answered
3. Deep down we know that we are supposed to be on the offensive – on the attack – not running for cover!
4. Yet we only fight, and bite and devour each other instead of our real enemy (Eph 6:12)!
D. Satan and his devils are VERY powerful
1. Satan was Lucifer at first (Isaiah 14:12)
2. He was kicked out of heaven when he became proud and rebellious
3. But he is in no way weak or powerless…
a. He still is the second most powerful being in the universe!
b. He is at war with God – hates everything good, and everything connected with God! Loves only to deceive and destroy!
c. He counterfeits everything that is good and clean and holy!
d. He damns most of the world
e. He devises countless ways to hinder the work of God
f. He stirs-up troubles, problems, tribulations
g. He devours Christians
4. Don’t ever underestimate your enemy the devil folks!
E. This Means War!
1. Most of our daily battles in our homes, and in our minds are really spiritual battles that we were either unaware of or ill-prepared to meet head on!
2. The unsaved are completely under his dominion
a. Without even trying, they do his bidding!
b. Like puppets (2Tim 2:24-26)
c. Their spiritual father is Satan (John 8:44)
3. But a born again child of God is different!
a. We have changed sides
b. We have a measure of protection (Luke 22:31,32)
c. We actually have ways to defeat our enemy when he attacks
d. Christians don’t HAVE to let this happen (Romans 6:14)!
e. We have some stronger weapons – SPIRITUAL weapons!
F. How can any selfish, self-condemned sinner ever expect to resist the devil, except by a superior power - a superior force?
A. The Battles Belong to God (1st Samuel 17:44-47)
1. Every battle, every fight, every struggle belongs to God – cannot just be fought like we are used to fighting
2. We have to fight in GOD’S realm, and using HIS ways
3. Young David shows us this!
a. Goliath only knows brute force – and he has plenty of it!
b. David knows there is a greater power in the God of heaven and earth!
c. He knows that the battle is won without sword or spear, or gun, or army!
4. Proves that anyone, no matter how insignificant, or weak, can fight and win this war!
B. The Weapons of our Warfare are NOT physical (2 Cor 10:4,5) – they are better!
1. List some physical weapons: Fists, Yelling, Tears, Fingernails, Silence, Poison!
2. But a Christian’s weapons are ONLY spiritual – just as real, but not made out of hands, metal, stone, wood, explosives, etc. But rather, spiritual in construction
3. If you feel powerless in the battle’s you face as a Christian, it may be because you do not know just how powerful the spiritual weapons really are that God has given you!!!
4. You need a strength, a health, a power that is NOT physical
5. You need weapons that are not carnal
6. You need armour that is not defeatable!
7. We need spiritual weapons, and we need to know how to use them!
8. That is what our studies this month are all about!
C. Our Greatest Need is to Get Strong in the Lord (Ephesians 6:10)
1. God has Real Power
a. He has power
1) Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2) 2Ch_16:9 For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.
3) Eph 1:19,20 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
4) Eph 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us
b. He Created EVERYTHING
c. Holds everything together – the strong force! “by him all things consist”
d. He is the very source of LIFE “in Him was life…”
e. He is Power of the resurrection! Able to bring to life AGAIN!
f. His very name is Almighty!
2. We Are Pathetic! (Act 19:13-16)
3. But that is okay – God loves using weak things!
a. Like He did Abraham - Rom 4:16-21 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all, (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were. Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be. And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb: He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
b. Like He did Paul (1Cor 2:1-5)
1) 1Cor 2:1-5 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
2) 2Co_10:10 For his letters, say they, are weighty and powerful; but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech contemptible.
3) 2Co_11:29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not?
4) 2Co_12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
5) 2Co_12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
c. He will even use US (1Cor 1:26-29) For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence.
D. Next Week I will teach you about ACCESSING God’s Power – it’s not for the flippant or timid, either!
A. We Are in A Spiritual War!
1. It is a fight for souls of men and women
2. It is a fight for dominion
3. It is the most important event going on right now! Forget about all that the newspapers and news programmes are talking about!
B. Satan and his devils are VERY powerful. Don’t ever underestimate your enemy the devil folks!
C. Satan will win if we do not put up a good fight!
D. Every One of Your Battles Belong to God
E. The Weapons of our Warfare are NOT physical (2 Cor 10:4,5) – they are better!
F. Our Greatest Need is to Get Strong in the Lord (Ephesians 6:10) In HIS Power
G. We Are Pathetic!
H. But that is okay – God loves using weak things!
But He must FIRST, SAVE weak
things! Sinners have to get born again, into the very kingdom you need power in