Why Every Person Needs to Experience the New Covenant
14 May, 2000 AM
PLACE: BBC Blarney
Introduction (Heb 10:9)
A. Jesus came to swap-out the Old Covenant with something called the New Covenant. It was God’s will – what had to be done
1. A covenant is the basis for a relationship – an agreement between two parties that allows them to work together.
a. No way to be married without a covenant, an agreement, a binding between to the two people clearly defining what is expected
b. No way for people to work a job without some form of agreement between them and the boss about pay, and hours and expectations
c. There is no way for people to have a relationship with God without an agreement, a covenant between them concerning what was expected by both parties
2. The Old Covenant (what we call the Old Testament) was good.
3. But the New Covenant (the New Testament) is better (Heb 8:6)!
B. I want to show you WHY it is better, and how everyone ought to get into the New Covenant relationship with God
– Let me list some of the contrasts between the old Covenant and the New
Covenant. There are lots of Scriptures, but I will just list the points.
is a Covenant? It is the agreement between two parties – the basis for a
Message - The
Better Covenant (Hebrews
A. Built Upon a Perfect Offering (Heb 10:10-14a). Mark these in your Bible!
1. One Offering for sin – only ONE will do! Jesus
a. Only His life was perfect, without spot or blemish
b. Only His will was perfectly submitted to the father
c. Only His way of redemption was perfect, able to save lowest sinner
2. One time payment made – once 2,000 years ago (Cf 9:24-28)
a. It was only one payment because it was in full – not a partial payment
b. Why would anyone think more needed to be paid?
c. This is where salvation and religion are light-years apart – the payment of Jesus Christ was all sufficient
3. There are therefore NO MORE SACRIFICES for sins to be made (10:26, 18) According to this Bible, and the words of Jesus Christ:
a. It is finished!
b. Jesus is now seated – no place to sit before – work never finished
c. It is the worst form of blasphemy to claim to continue a sacrifice that is over and done with! 800,000,000 people are participating still in an Old Testament form of constant sacrifice and works, and empty rituals – never realizing that IT IS FINISHED!
4. Our relationship with God Almighty is because of the one, perfect sacrifice made on the cross! Who would DARE to think there is anything more to do to pay for sins?!
B. Produces a Perfect Salvation (Heb 2:3; 10:14-18) “So great salvation!”
1. The sacrifice of the life of Christ was all for a purpose – to purchase salvation, redemption, forgiveness for all who believe
2. Notice what salvation does
a. It perfects – makes us what we cannot otherwise be – conversion. The world puts all their efforts into education, and careers, and self-help, and support groups – they may help, but they cannot perfect!!!
b. It sanctifies – makes us holy, pure, and acceptable in the sight of God
1) No religion can do this. No hypnosis can do this
2) Talking about a changed life – salvation CHANGES US!
a) See any funeral: full of people who only cope through incredible drinking, Prozac, uncontrollable weeping,
b) See any disaster: lots of “counseling” and more drugs
c) See any home in debt – lots of arguments and fighting
d) NOT SO WITH CHRIST!
c. It permeates (Heb 10:15,16). Salvation is not a fact to be memorized – it is a Person taking your place
1) It permeates the heart – we need salvation here the most
2) It permeates the mind – real stability, sanity
3) From the heart and mind flows all the actions of life!
4) If your heart and your mind are the same as they have always been, then you have never been saved!!!
d. It liberates – provides real forgiveness – Christ has made us FREE!!!
1) The debts on our account are remitted – paid off – God buried them in the deepest sea, and can’t find them
2) The memory of our deeds are removed – can’t remember them
3) That’s what a full pardon means! Stricken off the record book
3. That’s why we can be sure that all things will work together – because the God who worked out the plan for our salvation, is also working out each and every day for our benefit!
4. That’s why we have such a good relationship with our Saviour!
C. Opens Up a Perfect Relationship (Heb 10:19-25). We need to exploit it – fully take advantage of it – make the most of this relationship – that is what made Paul so great (Philp 3:10)!
1. Provides Direct Access (10:19-22) – we can and mist draw near, gather close, hang around God’s throne
a. As a priest yourself – no longer in need of a priestly system or ceremonies and sacrifices and steps
b. Able to approach right up to the throne of God Almighty – for the simplest or even the greatest of needs
c. By the blood of Christ – because of the payment made – greatest! Called the New and Living way!
2. Provides Dependability (10: 23)
a. Since Jesus is faithful
b. And since He has established the covenant agreement to begin with
c. And since He has CHANGED us
d. Let’s STAY changed – hold fast, cling to, stay on track – maintain the terms of surrender that we gave on the day we got saved!!!
e. You don’t HAVE to sin anymore – you are free from its dominion
3. Provides Devotion (10:24,25)
a. Devotion to care for one another
b. Devotion to provoke one another to live godly – by example, and testimony, as well as with preaching – all of you!
c. Devotion to assembling together – not letting ANYTHING get more important than being with Bible-believing Christians on Sundays
d. All because the day is approaching when Jesus returns!
Conclusion What is your relationship to God based upon? Can’t be better than this!
Perfect relationship because so great salvation, based upon so great a sacrifice