DATE: 9 Dec, 2001
PLACE: BBC Blarney
A. THE REAL WORK OF GOD IS SUPERNATURAL, NOT NATURAL. It is ‘spiritual’ which means, eternal
1. It is not by might, nor by power of muscle.
2. It is not by might, nor by power of mentality.
3. It is not by might, nor by power of money.
B. We have got to stop thinking that God's work is to be carried about by natural means. I believe that God's business is the most important business in the world. I also believe that all things in our churches should be done decently and in order. However, some churches are run exactly like one of this world's businesses. If God's Holy Spirit were to leave those churches entirely, they would continue to run as normal, without anyone observing a difference.
C. Christian, did you pray this morning for God's blessings upon this service? We have lost people who need to be saved, saved people who need to be baptized, inactive believers who need to join this church, and backslidden Christians in this service. We have in this service Christians who are going through great trials. THEY ALL NEED A TOUCH FROM *GOD*!
D. "All is vain unless the Spirit of the Holy One comes down. Brethren, pray, and holy manna will be showered all around."
E. Let us remind ourselves today that we must depend on the power of the Holy Ghost to do the work of God! For instance:
A. It Is By God's Spirit That The Sinner Is Exposed (Jn 16:8-11) – like a Torch/Flashlight
1. His pollution is exposed - "of sin"
2. His problem is exposed - "of righteousness"
3. His penalty is exposed - "of judgment"
4. All by means of:
b. The word of God
c. Godly living – examples to a world in darkness (Philp 2:15)
B. It Is By God's Spirit That The Saviour Is Exalted (Jn 16:13,14)
1. In our minds - If we are full of the Holy Ghost, we will say of the Lord Jesus Christ, as did John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30). The Holy Spirit is constantly trying to direct us to glorify Christ!
2. In our manner
a. We should live in such a way as to best glorify CHRIST (Matt. 5:16).
b. We should talk in such a way as to best magnify JESUS (Acts 4:13). Make Him as big as possible in other people’s minds
c. And we should take a stand (Acts 4) obeying the Lord instead of man
3. In our message - I don't preach a "plan of salvation." I preach the MAN of salvation!
a. God's Spirit moves us to preach CHRIST to the lost, not traditions etc
b. Philip preached CHRIST to the city of Samaria (Acts 8:5).
c. He preached JESUS to the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:35).
d. Saul, later called Paul, preached CHRIST in the synagogues as soon as he was saved(Acts 9:20).
e. Paul preached JESUS to the heathen at Athens(Acts 17:18).
f. We preach the gospel of CHRIST (Rom. 1:16).
g. It is the substitutionary death of CHRIST!
h. It is the burial of CHRIST!
i. It is the resurrection of CHRIST that we preach! (1 Cor. 15:3-4)
C. It Is By God's Spirit That Salvation Is Eternal (2Cor 1:22; Eph 1:13; Eph 4:30)
1. The Spirit of God saves us
a. We call this regeneration. It is the new birth.
b. Before a person is saved, he has a dead spirit. He is dead in trespasses and sins.
2. The Spirit of God submerges us - He baptizes us into Christ - 1Cor 12:13
3. The Spirit of God seals us
a. It is the "guarantee" of our salvation.
b. The seal is the power of preservation.
4. The Spirit of God stays with us - John 14:16
D. It Is By God's Spirit That Service Is Empowered (Eph 3:16)
1. He helps us to find and do the will of God
b. Church membership
c. Work in church
d. Schooling, training
2. He helps us do the work of God - He gives gifts for the ministry of every believer.
3. He helps us obtain the wisdom of God
a. You don't have the sense to know how to serve God.
b. The Holy Spirit can make you FULLY equipped to do the work of God!
E. It Is By God's Spirit That The Saints Are An Entity (Eph 4:3; 1Cor 12:13)
1. There is one body, though incomes vary. Wealthy and poor believers should be able to attend the same church, sit on the same pews, and have fellowship with each other.
2. There is one body, though ideas vary
a. Allow the younger to mature – giving them some room to grow – not totally rigid, but firm in some strong boundaries
1) King James Bible
2) Why we are Baptist
3) Convictions, instead of conveniences
b. The Holy Ghost will help believers to not only believe the same, but have the same charity toward one another, and the same ultimate goals.
F. It Is By God's Spirit That The Scriptures Are Explained (1Cor 2:9-14)
1. The Spirit composed the Bible
2. The Spirit comprehends the Bible
3. The Spirit clarifies the Bible
G. It Is By God's Spirit That Sorrow Is Erased (John 14:16)
1. His presence brings comfort
2. His peace brings comfort - This is the fruit of the Spirit - Gal. 5:22
3. His promises bring comfort
a. The promise of salvation
b. The promise of security
c. The promise of strength
d. The promise of the Second Coming
III. Conclusion – Thank God for His HOLY Spirit – He is a pretty busy Person in this world today!
A. He’s Busy Exposing the Sinner (Jn 16:8-11)
B. He’s Busy Exalting the Saviour (Jn 16:14)
C. He’s Busy Keeping Our Salvation Eternal (2Cor 1:22; Eph 1:13; Eph 4:30)
D. He’s Ready to Empower Us When We Serve God (Eph 3:16)
E. He’s busy Keeping All Saints An Entity Called the Body of Christ (Eph 4:3; 1Cor 12:13)
F. He’s Busy Explaining The Scriptures to ALL Who Will Hear (1Cor 2:9-14)
G. And, he will do all that FOR you, and most importantly, THROUGH you, if you will let Him!