What Makes a
1 Peter 2:1-3
7 Jan, 2001
PLACE: BBC Mallow
I. Introduction (Eph 2:1)
A. The Life of a Christian is one of growth
B. We used to be “sinners” – that was clear! We were dead in our sins. But there came a day when we yearned to be alive.
C. To be changed, transformed from sinner to a “living saint”, we had to humble ourselves, and become like children – start all over again, but this time, with a different Parent (Mt 18:3)
D. It was then we became sons of God – children in God’s family!
E. We have now become (note these Bible Words):
1. Adopted (Rom 8:15)
2. Saved (Rom 10:13)
3. Born Again (John 3:7; 1Pet 1:23)
4. In Christ (2Cor 5:17)
F. So, back to this “growth” idea. How is it that a Christian grows?
II. Message - Growing Up God’s Way (1 Peter 2:1-3)
What We Need (1 Peter 2:1-3)
1. We need to do two things to grow. Growing is supposed to be natural, but there are things that can hinder growth
a. Example of poor diet stunts physical growth
b. Example of no exercise hinders physical growth
2. So, what are the two things that need to be looked to, to grow?
a. Lay aside the things that hinder (there will be more about this in another message) – notice that these are all “attitudes” that come from the heart that block our growth. Be mature enough to get rid of these things!
1) All malice – not just hatred, but the desire to hurt someone else, either out of revenge, or even just for pleasure! Pure wickedness to have malice!
2) All guile – deceitfulness, trickery – lying!
3) All hypocrisies – living a lie – don’t lie, yes, but especially, don’t LIVE a lie
a) Telling people you are saved when you are not
b) Acting like your are spiritual when you don’t
c) Acting like you are praying, when you are not
4) All envies – wishing to be someone else, or have something of someone else – God deliver us!
5) All evil speakings – talking bad about anybody!!!
6) These things are symptoms of a bad heart that has not been surrendered to Jesus for cleansing! At the end of this message I want us ALL to take time to CONFESS these things to God, and get rid of them!
b. Take on the two main things that nourish: Grace of God, and the Word of God
1) The grace of God (1Pet 2:3; 2 Pet 3:18; Heb 13:9; 2Cor 12:9)
a) That is God’s power in your life
b) People were taught they had to go to Mary, or to church, or to a priest to get such grace
c) All you need is Jesus in your life, leading, filling
d) And you will GROW!
The word of God
a) The pure milk of God’s word
(i) Un-homogenised – not mixed with other milks
(ii) Un-pasteurised – not cooked to get rid of the vitamin content
(iii) Unchanged, uncorrupted
b) Pure, and simple doctrines of the Bible
c) Make sure it is more milk than the meat – meat will chock an infant
3) Both of these things (the Grace of God, and the Word of God) need to be “desired” with passion, and hunger like a new born baby – principle: always stay hungry!
4) How to feed on the Grace of God and the Word of God
a) Through personal devotions – every day
b) Through listening to preaching and Bible teaching
c) Through Godly music – that teaches God’s truth
d) Through applying what God says to your life situations at home, and school
e) Through just obeying it, even when it doesn’t make sense
A. It Makes a difference to Ourselves
1. We mature, grow stronger, and more able for the battles ahead – otherwise we continually are overwhelmed
2. We find fulfilment
3. We learn the depth of the love and care of God
B. It Makes a Difference to Others
1. They see a change
2. They are more ready to listen to our witness about Jesus
C. It Makes a Difference to God
1. It pleases Him
2. It Glorifies Him – Biblical changes never glorify ourselves
IV. Conclusion/Application. To Grow, we need to do two very important things
A. Lay aside – cast-off, unstrap these things from off us
1. All malice – not just hatred, but the desire to hurt someone else, either out of revenge, or even just for pleasure! Pure wickedness to have malice!
2. All guile – deceitfulness, trickery – lying!
3. All hypocrisies – living a lie – don’t lie, yes, but especially, don’t LIVE a lie
4. All envies – wishing to be someone else, or have something of someone else – God deliver us!
5. All evil speakings – talking bad about anybody!!!
6. We know we are wicked, when we think we are right to hold on to any sinful attitude – folks we need to GROW!
B. Take on two more powerful things
1. The Word of God – this year, saturate yourself in this Book (reading and studying), in church attendance, in the Bible Institute, in Bible Study on Fridays!
2. The Grace of God – this year, rest in God’s great grace, and develop your prayer life!
C. And you will see solid, step-by-step GROWTH in everyone who become a doer of the word of God, instead of hearers only!