How to See and Utilise Time Like God Does
2 Jan, 2000 AM
PLACE: BBC Blarney
23 July, 2000
PLACE: BBC Mallow
Introduction (Isa 46:9,10)
A. There were lots of celebrations going on all over the world with the passing of a single second - just one second - between 23:59:59 and 00:00:00 on the first of January, 2000. Why? Because time means something to us.
B. It is supposed to mean something. God commanded His people Israel to mark the passing of: New years, Sabbaths, The new moons, The arrival of children
C. Why? Why would God say it is important to celebrate the passing of time, and the marking of the events of life? Because He has a unique view of time which we humans need - It is a view that helps us keep going, and actually do something with the time that we have.
Message - God's
View of Time (Isaiah
A. God has a Good View of Time (Eccl 3:11). Some people hate time, and life - always think time is against them.
1. He created time (Gen 1:5) and said it was good
2. He never seems to be bothered when we are under pressure, and when time is of the essence - will talk more about this next
3. God sees time as a good thing. We hate time -
a. It makes us grow old
b. It shows off our mortality
c. It is never fast enough - and when it is, it is too fast - i.e., kids growing up, etc…
d. Yet God seems to think time is something we ought to enjoy, and treasure, and protect
B. God has a Long View of Time (2 Peter 3:8) - Great patience about the Lord
1. God sees you not only as you are, but your potential, and what you can be
2. He doesn't worry about how long something takes to be accomplished - He is mainly focused on seeing you real the goal
3. God waited 400 years before He delivered His people Israel from out of Egypt's dominion (Ex 5:22,23)
4. God waited 13 years before intervening in Joseph's life and raising him out of prison and troubles in Egypt
5. Jesus waited 2 days past the DEATH of Lazarus before going to help him (John 11:6,7,17)
6. No matter how long it takes for some of you to get a godly wife, it will be ok - trust the Lord - He has the long view - don't get impatient
7. No matter how long it takes to read your Bible through - keep at it
8. No matter how long it takes to get to the place that some sin doesn't have dominion over you, just stay in the battle!!! AMEN and AMEN!
C. God has a Full View of Time (Eccl 3:1-8,17)
1. God has made time to be filled with lots of events
2. God designed time so that a lot of things would and could be enjoyed by people - doesn't want us hermits afraid of life and the world
a. Not just being born, and dying
b. But also farming, building, tearing down, celebrating, weeping, dancing, hugging, thinking, earning profit, and losing, sewing and mending, speaking your mind, and shutting your mouth, loving, hating, defending your country, and making peace
c. God wants your life to be FULL
1) Full first of all of HIM
2) Full of the life which Christ died to obtain for you!
d. Don't just sit on your thumbs all day - get a job, pay your bills, raise your family, finish your education, find God's will and LIVE IT!!!
3. No matter what you experience - when you are living in obedience to God's word, and following Jesus, enjoy the trip - look for Jesus in it
D. God has a Scheduled View of Time
1. Had a particular starting point (Gen 1:1) - not billions of years ago
2. Has a particular ending (Rev 10:5,6)
3. Had a particular time for Christ's coming (Gal 4:1-4; Rom 5:6)
4. Has an appointed time for people to get saved (2Co 6:2) - can't put it off
5. Has an appointed time for death (Heb 9:28)
E. Knowing How God Sees Time, Urges All of Us to do four things:
1. Redeem our time (time that WE have) - make it count (Eph 5:16; Col 4:5) - not squandered away, and lost. Why? Because we don't have all the time in the world. We only have a few short years - we used to "spend" all our time on stupid, empty and vain things that left us worse off - now we are challenged to buy it back - because time is against you (days are evil)
a. Pay the price to have time with the Lord everyday
b. Pay the price to possess time in your Bible everyday
c. Pay whatever the price to have a family, a godly family
d. Pay the price to spend your time with the Lord Jesus in mind!
2. Endure for a time (Rom 8:18,28) put up with a whole load of rubbish, because you CAN - now that you have the Lord, you can endure anything!!! One of the greatest marks of the Christian is their steadfastness!
3. Forget the Past (Philp 3:13,14; Cf Eph 2:2)
a. Repent and move forward every time you fail and fall
b. So many of you get caught up in remorse for your past, and never get going for God - wish they could "turn back the clock"
c. Many people never let OTHERS get over their past!
4. Witness for the Lord Jesus (1Tim 2:6) - in the present - don't put it off
a. Everyone deep down wishes they knew with certainty where they came from, and where they are going
b. People are super surprised when they meet a person who knows who they are, and where they are going - not just in life, but in eternity!
c. Tell folks Jesus Christ makes time bearable, and actually enjoyable
How to See and Utilise Time Like God Does
A. God sees time very differently that most of us do
1. He sees it as something good
2. He sees the length of it - made it to be long - not too long
3. He sees it full of experiences
4. He schedules time so that His purposes come to pass
B. He wishes we would see it the same - asks us to:
1. Redeem our time
2. Endure for a time
3. Forget the past
4. Witness in the present